It’s the first of the month, and that means it’s time to get last month’s photos backed up. Let me show you what this process looks like for me:
1. Get all photos off every memory card (including my husband and I’s phones).
2. Download them to a folder labeled with the month and year on my computer’s hard drive.
3. Tag them with keywords according to people in the photo, events, and activities. i.e. Katie, birthday, CoCo Key Water Park.
4. Rate the best photos for the month to go into rotation on my digital frame.
5. Burn the entire months photos with keywords and ratings to a DVD.
6. Back the same photos up to a off site location. I really like Flickr.
7. LASTLY, once each of these steps is complete, format your cards and start taking photos in the new month.
I know this seems like a lot, but if you get in the habit of adding keywords each time you get photos off your memory card (which I hope is several times through out the month), the process is much quicker.
Another tip is to set your photos to burn to DVD, or upload to a backup site during a time you will be away from your computer.